Idea New staff rank - Troubleshooter

• ToastyNetworks - Launcher

Hi Guest!
    Are you using the brand new ToastyNetworks launcher yet? No? What are you waiting for! Enjoy a tweaked launcher made to make life easier for you! It includes pre-installed tweaks, fixes, texture packs and way more!
    Read more about it here.

Lodran

Lodran
Lodran
May 23, 2018
The idea is to have a rank of players who are given the ability to hunt down lag causing issues. While they would not have the ability to make changes, their rank would give some weight to any suggestions they were giving players who were causing lag. If necessary (for example if the lag generator was in an always loaded chunk, and its owner offline) they would call in a moderator to deal with the issue.

With regard to "Chat infractions", they could give guidance - reminding players of the rules, but would not have authority (or ability) for mutes or bans - again, they could call in a moderator.

From a "commands" standpoint, they would have full access to DAP, as well as the ability to teleport to specific coordinates or chunks. Other than that, they're simply players.

Jun 12, 2019
This is already an unofficial position. Players can solve issues like this on their own by learning what options they have. Not all commands are disallowed.

Laggy chunks are often loaded by online players. Careful enquiry and knowledge that DAP handles most issues per ten minutes (or sooner) is sufficient.

Players are not helpless, and staff don't have magic wands. But patience is important. Hope this helps.

ZonaHelix

Staff
Requiem
Iris
HeLiX_iS_BeTa
HeLiX_iS_BeTa
artemis
Aug 6, 2017
United States
To continue where Asdas left off,

Giving access to commands that allow one to teleport anywhere they wish isn't exactly necessary. If a player doesn't know how to resolve a lag issue and someone who does know can fix it, they already have the /tpa and /tpahere commands. The only difference would be the ability to consent to someone teleporting to you versus just teleporting to specific coordinates without consent, which can also upset some people as they prefer their base or island to be private unless it is to be visited by staff to assist with something only we can help with (e.g. land rollbacks or inventory rollbacks that need to be placed in a chest at the player's base/island). If an area nearby a player is causing lag, they will see the coordinates in /dap and if they don't fix the issue, staff members can log in and take things from there as it is our jobs to ensure the performance of our servers stays stable.

As for chat infractions, players can already inform others to read /rules. Otherwise, if a player continues to be disruptive those who witness the behavior just need to send a screenshot in Discord and one of us will be ready to handle the situation.

While I do like the idea of a Troubleshooter rank, I don't see any major benefits to this rank as it would be similar to Trial Mod with far less permissions and can only be given to players by Admins, which is already done from players applying for staff and getting accepted.

evenstar

Oculus
Oculus
Iris
evenstar59
evenstar59
poseidon
Jun 9, 2017
Hello Lodran, as a player with a lot of hours playing, I do those things myself now. I have no authority other then my interactions with the players but the sheer amount of time I have on for my rank usually gets players to at least think about my suggestions. Your ideas are sound and well presented, so you would probably make a great mod. As for the ideas, as you present them, I think Asdas and helix, have really good responses.
Hope to see you around,
evenstar59

Lodran

Lodran
Lodran
May 23, 2018
The issue is, that more often than not the players who are causing the lag don't know it, don't know how to use /dap to find out, and can't be bothered to read chat when those who do understand dap are talking about it.

So, the players with the knowledge have no way help, which means that a moderator needs to be involved, and we all know that moderators are sometimes in very short supply.

Lodran

Lodran
Lodran
May 23, 2018
@evenstar I'd make a lousy moderator, because of two things - I hate paperwork, and I tend to mis-interpret the line in the bible exhorting me to "suffer fools gladly" as to "gladly make fools suffer" ;)